Saturday, January 31, 2015

"You will do what you most want to do."

In life, there are always obstacles. Whether those be physical, mental, or financial, there's always something that will get in the way of the things you wish to achieve.

However, I'm a strong proponent of the idea that if you want to do something badly enough, then you will. Today, I saw my thoughts echoed in an I Run Far article about Heather Anderson, the PCT record holder.

“You will do whatever it is you most want to do,” she says, without a lick of hesitation. “That’s what I say when someone says they can’t do something because of their commitments. If you really, really, really want to thru-hike, or go on some extended trip, or do anything, you will make it happen. You will have to make sacrifices. There’s never going to be a time where the stars align and you’re suddenly debt-free and commitment-free. That just doesn’t happen. You have to make it happen. Nobody’s life is so complex that they can’t make their dream happen, it just might require more sacrifices than they’re willing to give. You will do whatever it is you most want to do.”

This is true for all things in life. Not just hiking, backpacking, or running. Achieving goals requires sacrifice and sometimes we're not willing to make that sacrifice. And in the end, all we can say about it is that we didn't want it bad enough.

I don't want to say that I didn't want it bad enough. I don't want to go home with my tail tucked between my legs and have some excuse about why I wasn't able to finish my hike. When I'm cold, hungry, and miserable and want to give up, I want to ask myself, "How bad do you want it?" Because in the end, you will do what you most want to do.

And right now, at this very moment, I most want to hike the Appalachian Trail, and I won't be satiated until the summit of Katahdin is under my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment