Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Day 94: Jersey Devil... Or maybe just a bear.

Mile 1324.8: Gren Anderson Shelter.

Slept terrible. Interruptions include: thunder, wind, screaming children (from a nearby camp), and a drunk hiker with a super bright headlamp.

Regardless, I wake up feeling awesome.

Shortly into the day, a russle in the brush about fifteen feet away startled me and I look up to see a big black blob slowly galloping away. It's a super fuzzy bear.

It stops about fifty feet into its lackadaisical jog and turns around to spy on us, obviously not worried about our presence, but wary enough to keep a close watch.

We continue forward, noticing that Mr. (Or Ms., gender is hard to pin on creatures covered in fur) Bear is walking parallel to us, continuing their curious (and hopefully not hungry) observation. Now I start yelling, somewhat cartoonishly, "Get away bear! I don't like you! Go away! Hey!"

The bear is not dissuaded. I am just a little bit nervous.

We put some distance between us and the bear and it reluctantly goes back to the place it was rummaging near the trail before I blundered into its territory, probably ready to ambush another hiker.

Hours later the mosquitoes are attacking me with fervor, it's so bad that I skip a water source to avoid becoming lunch for another fifty or so mosquitoes.

It begins to rain, but I've made it to a road with some businesses. The businesses are weird but one is a bar with a covered patio next to a lake. I drink a long forgotten flavor of gatorade and try to figure out how to use my 500 milliliter pot to make gluten free spaghetti (it isn't easy). I add some powdered marinara and the mixture tastes like shit, but I'm hungry and it's what I have. Stevie and Cheyanne are eating huge pretzels with mustard and like always, I am jealous of the ability to consume wheat gluten.

Cheyanne makes a visit to a nearby game/fishing shop and comes back with eucalyptus/lemon oil insent repellant. 

Salvation at last.

After lunch we play a few rounds of pool, waiting on the rain to subside. I charge my phone, download some podcasts, and stare absently at the pictures on the wall. Most are hunters posing with dead deer or embroidered cop badges from different counties. I'm ready to leave.

We're lazy, we only do another three miles to the nearest shelter. Dinner is bland and unappetizing but necessary. If I don't eat enough I wake up nauseous in the dead of the night. The mosquitoes are having a better time of things with the exposed parts of my skin. I cover myself liberally with bug spray and crawl into my quilt, dreading the bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment