Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 65: I cried when I found out Scott Jurek passed me.

So here I am, currently in Odenton, Maryland visiting Cheyanne's sister for a couple of days pondering how I've neglected to update this blog and wondering how I'm going to remedy the problem.

On a not unrelated note, I have been shitting my pants for the last couple of weeks. At first I figured it was from consuming mass quantities of artificial food, but now I'm almost certain that I have been suffering from the effects of giardia.

I wasn't quite sure, so I went and read Jason Reamy's account of having giardia earlier this year on the AT. Upon doing this I noticed something: he updates his blog every single day.

See what I did there? Not only did I let you all know that I've been shitting my pants on the reg, but I used that information to segue into my real aim for this blog post.

That being: I promise that I will make a monumental effort to give a day to day account of this hike, for all that remains of it, and to fill in the blanks for all that has already happened.

Anyhow, today, Stevie, Cheyanne, and I are all off trail and in somewhat random areas. As I've already said, me and Cheyanne are in Odenton, but Stevie is in Durham, North Carolina, where he's currently attending a Morrissey concert for what will probably be the last time (since Morrissey is dying and all).

To get to our respective geographical points, we had to split up and hitch hike quite a bit... Cheyanne and I took five different cars to Leesburg, Virginia where her sister in law lives, whilst Stevie had worse luck and spent the night in a patch of grass by a walmart in rural southern Virginia.

Oftentimes I stop and ask myself, what series of decisions did I make to end up exactly where I am right now in this moment? Or for example, something more specific like, what series of decisions did I make that landed me eating subpar gas station food from Sheetz whilst looking for a ride to Leesburg, VA before night falls? I'm not real sure how to answer that question most of the time, but obviously I'm doing something right because my life is at least interesting.

Tomorrow we'll pick up Stevie from Washington DC (not real sure how he's getting there but hey, who cares), and then we'll spend the day checking out museums and vegan restaurants whilst I agonize over whether or not I want to take antibiotics or just stick to garlic and goldenseal to cure my diarrheal malady. Not an easy decision for me, I absolutely hate pharmaceuticals and refuse to take them most of the time. Regardless, we'll probably top the day off with a visit to Jurassic World, just what we need to get us through another thousand miles of tick/snake infested wilderness.

In news relevant to the trail, we just passed the 900 mile and here's a mediocre picture of some sticks to prove it.

Signing off for now,
Colton











P.S. Cheyanne started a gofundme cause we basically have spent all of our money at (several) doctors. If you want to know why or maybe throw a buck at us, check out this hella sick big ass link (and not hyperlink since I can't do those on this app...)

http://www.gofundme.com/veganontheat

Update: wow, lots of donations already. Let it be known that my heart is warmed with much love and gratitude to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment