Friday, June 26, 2015

Day 71, 72, 73: Please get me out of Virginia.

Flashback to Mile 1002.9: Bear's Den Hostel.

Just finished "The Rollercoaster". Named so because the elevation gain and loss in such a short period of time makes it look (but not quite feel) like a rollercoaster. Or at least it looks like one on an elevation map. Let me tell you, giardia took something out of me (my athletic ability, or at least some of it), and what was once easy is now very hard. Or maybe it's just the heat/humidity. The last few days have seemed to stretch on forever with nothing to look forward to.

So we're still in Virginia, but only until tomorrow, so I guess we have that look forward too. Thank the sweet merciful father above for that, I cannot wait to be out of this state. Say goodbye to the Virginia Blues.

I know it's irrational, and West Virginia (Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York too) promises more of the same, but I can't help but associate Virginia with everything awful about the trail.

Let me rant for a minute:

1) It's gone on forever. Seriously. If nothing else it feels like we're finally making progress by leaving this state.

2) I had giardia for over 300 miles of trail in Virginia.

3) Ticks. They're everywhere now.

4) Rattlesnakes. Virginia's got 'em.

But TOMORROW! We're done with Virginia! It's all over! Right? Right?!

And can I get a round of applause for being over 1000 miles in? God dang it feels good. We just hiked a thousand miles. It seems pretty unreal.

You see, I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude because I feel anything but. So let's take a minute to reflect on the good in a series of pictures:






























Okay, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment