Monday, June 22, 2015

Day 70: The Worst Day

(Yo, don't read this entry if you don't want to read about an animal's death. Just so you know.)

Sitting in my tent, trying as hard as I can to reposition my things so as not to deal with any "splash" from the rain outside. This is how I spend my nights when it's raining hard. Raining hard is an understatement. There's actually a flash flood warning for the next twelve hours. Tropical storm Bill. What a jerk.

But that's not why today was The Worst Day. There are many parts that together equal The Worst Day.

Flashback to two hours ago. I'm standing in the rain watching a salamander convulse and spasm in the mud in front of me. There's a light rain but not enough to warrant having a rain jacket on. The salamander is black with white dots, somewhat rare, I've only seen two on the trail thus far, including this one. I'm confused to why this is happening, but it seems awful. I'm completely aware that it's suffering greatly, but I don't know how to help it. As I'm watching, a white foam begins to permeate out of the salamander's skin, starting at the tail but gradually moving up its body. As the foam consumes more and more of the salamander, the spasms are decrescendoing, becoming less apparent, until the animal is completely still. Suddenly I'm just standing in the rain staring at a corpse. I feel like shit, mentally and physically, and I can't help but feel like this salamander was an ominous sign of things to come. Maybe I should stop hoping that things will get better.

On a lighter note, I was stung twice. Well, maybe stung. Not sure really. Could have been bit. Once on my hand... Which feels better. Once on my ankle... Which feels like poisonous burning hot lava necrotizing my ankle and consuming my flesh. (Don't worry Mom, this isn't actually happening, it just feels like it is).

In between bites, I shit my pants again. Awesome. I thought that phase of my life was over and I could move onto something equally undignified albeit less unpleasant. Maybe being stung is my new thing, who knows.

As I write this, I'm being struck in the face by drops of water. I'm not sure where they're coming from. Maybe splash, maybe condensation. What I do know is that I probably won't sleep much tonight, and in the morning, literally all of my stuff will be wet as hell. Quilt included. Ever slept with a damp sleeping bag? It sucks, do not recommend. I do have to give myself a pat on the back, however, for surrounding my tent with dead leaves rather than hard pack mud (to reduce splash, duh). I'm a regular ol' Bear Grylls.

Also of note is the puddle forming under my ground cloth (read: old, worn out emergency blanket). Uh oh, might be having to deal with some flash flooding in the tent tonight... Good thing my sleeping pad floats, right?

And just because I'm all about TMI these days: the strain that giardia put on my bowel movements has left me with a hemorrhoid. Never had one before, so I can't be sure, but there's a first time for everything. Talk about adding insult to injury. Maybe that was a little too graphic? Oh well, sorry I'm not sorry.

Woo wee, life sure sounds great out here on the AT right now, right? I bet I just convinced all of you to put down your coffee mugs, give your boss the finger, and come join us in our quest to be as uncomfortable as possible, right?

Thought so.

On the bright side we got to our campsite fairly early today so I just spent the last two hours reading and eating dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt (Thanks Richard and Kate). A good way to end what I dub The Worst Day. 

Well, tomorrow promises more of the same but I'm sure I'll find something else to complain about when it comes around. Or maybe Front Royal, VA will be the dopest town on the AT and my life will rule. Only jah knows.

Jah bless (jobless),
Colton

P.S. Rereading this the next day, and I actually am sorry that it's so depressing. 

Pictures on Instagram: veganontheat


No comments:

Post a Comment